I can’t believe that we are almost at the start of October and with just two short months to go before Christmas, add to all the festivities and gatherings associated with the Mid-Autumn festival, Diwali, Halloween, mid-term break coming, it seems like I am being pulled in all different directions, not to mention handling and growing my own business during this peak season, that itself requires humungous energy, focus and time! This is when the “coach” in me kicks in and makes me take a forced pause, which I am using to write down my thoughts in this post, that I know are going to be as helpful to me as they would be for you!
Finding your mental space during this busy end-of-year festive season is crucial for us ‘mompreneurs’ for maintaining our well-being and enjoying the celebrations. Here are ten ways to help you find your mental space:
- Prioritize self-care: Make self-care a priority by incorporating activities that help you relax and rejuvenate. This can include meditation, exercise, reading, or taking a warm bath. Set aside time each day to focus on yourself and recharge.
- Practice deep breathing: Deep breathing exercises can help calm your mind and reduce stress. Take a few minutes each day to practice deep, slow breaths, inhaling deeply through your nose and exhaling through your mouth. This can help bring a sense of calm and clarity to your mind.
- Its OK to be imperfect!: Avoid putting excessive pressure on yourself to create a perfect festive season. Set realistic expectations for yourself and your activities. Remember that it’s okay to say no to certain commitments or delegate tasks to others.
- Create boundaries: Establish clear boundaries to protect your mental space. Learn to say no when you feel overwhelmed, and communicate your needs to your loved ones. Setting limits on your time and energy can help you maintain balance and prevent burnout.
- Disconnect from technology: Take breaks from technology and social media to reduce mental clutter. Constant exposure to notifications and updates can contribute to stress and distract you from being present. Allocate specific times to unplug and focus on real-life interactions and activities.
- Spend time in nature: Nature has a calming effect on the mind and can help you find your mental space. Take a walk in the park with your child, dog, spouse, or go for hikes, or simply spend time in your balcony looking out at the sky. Being in nature can provide a sense of peace and perspective.
- Practice mindfulness: Cultivate mindfulness by bringing your attention to the present moment. Engage in activities with full awareness, whether it’s washing dishes, cooking, eating, or spending time with loved ones. Mindfulness can help you appreciate the festive season without getting caught up in worries or distractions.
- Delegate tasks: Don’t be afraid to ask for help and delegate tasks to others. Trying to do everything yourself can be overwhelming and leave you with little mental space. Share responsibilities with family members or friends, and remember that it’s okay to ask for assistance.
- Seek support from a mentor or network: Connect with other women entrepreneurs who understand the challenges you face. Seek support, advice, and guidance from mentors or join women entrepreneur networks to share experiences and learn from others.
- Be Thankful: Cultivating a sense of gratitude can shift your focus from stress to appreciation. Take a few minutes each day to reflect on the things you’re grateful for during the festive season. This can help you find joy and perspective, even during busy times.
Remember this is just my own list that I am sharing with you. Finding your mental space is a personal journey, and it may require some experimentation to find what works best for you. It would help to talk to a friend and do it together to make it more fun. If you have tried but simply cannot make it work, then talk to a coach who can be your trustworthy accountability partner and can support you in achieving your goals.
Be patient with yourself and make your well-being a priority during the festive season, which will not only benefit you personally but also contribute to the success of your business.